Harold D. Comey first traveled to Cincinnati from his native Cleveland in the 1920’s as a young salesman for the A.H. Hannah Co. In 1932 and went to work for the Central Trust Co.
During World War II, he left Central Trust to become the director of the Federal Housing Administration for this area. With this experience in real estate, he formed a company known as Harold D. Comey, Realtor®.
Comey was asked to run the Thomas Emery and Sons firm and their properties. Not wanting to abandon his own real estate busines, Comey asked Edward Shepherd, then a salesman for the John Garber Real estate Firm, to join him in business. Comey & Shepherd was formed.
Harold Comey returned to Comey & Shepherd in 1954. Offices of the company were in the old Fifth Third Bank Building downtown. Recognizing the need for suburban expansion, Comey & Shepherd established a branch office in Mariemont in 1964. In 1966, the downtown office was closed and headquarters moved to Mariemont.
Roy C. Nelson, native Cincinnatian, left his post as General Manager and partner with West Shell to join Comey & Shepherd in their Mariemont Office. When Harold Comey died in January of 1968, Roy Nelson bought the company. Ed Shepherd remained active in the business through December of 1968. He died in 1973.
Comey & Shepherd moved into the building at 6901 Wooster Pike. At that time, the entire company consisted of Roy Nelson, Jane McGlone the Administrative Vice President, Branch Administrator Amy Knight, and 18 sales agents.
As sales increased, company expansion plans were laid and a new branch office was opened in Anderson. In 1977, Comey & Shepherd purchased the Oscar Bauman Co., gaining an established office in Hyde Park.
Comey opens an office in Montgomery.
Recognizing the need for facilities to help relocating buyers and sellers, Comey & Shepherd chose to associate with a nationwide referral system, Inter-Community Relocation. In 1984, we moved up to one of the largest referral system in the world, RELO, now called Leading Real Estate Companies of the World.
Staff was added to formalize and enhance the training programs at Comey & Shepherd. New person training, Tools of the Trade, and ongoing continuing education enabled agents to gain valuable information focused on success and professionalism.
An agreement was reached with Tom McGill (formerly ERA the Property Center) and Comey & Shepherd advanced into the West Chester market. Soon Branham Realtors followed suit and joined Comey & Shepherd as well. Total agent count went up to 180.
Leadership at Comey & Shepherd, recognized the enormous changes on the horizon of the real estate industry, and became even more determined to be the quality vs. quantity broker in the Cincinnati area. Comey & Shepherd was fast becoming the firm for serious business professionals.
Our beloved Chairman of the Board and industry leader, Roy Nelson, passed away. President Scott Nelson continued to lead the company with the same caring and skill and has added insightful vision for the future, a company for top producers.
A brand licensing agreement was entered with Michael Sweeney to create a Comey & Shepherd City Office. In 2010, the company partnered with Mike Wolfer to align his Unlimited Real Estate firm under the Comey brand, making us a close second for the largest market share firm in the Greater Cincinnati area. In 2015, the Leist Realtors® group joined Comey & Shepherd, recognizing the appeal of broad support services for agents.
Comey & Shepherd is #1 in market share and agent productivity!
We are very proud to be in our 7th decade of existence, but even prouder of the high quality, professional, agent-driven company that we have become. The future is bright for our innovative, quality conscious company, which is ranked by industry experts (Real Trends) as oneof the top real estate companies in the country.
Ours is a company culture that invites high producing agents to be their best, and they are!